Friday, July 17, 2009

Becoming a Mom


There's no classroom, no book, nothing really that prepares you to be a mom. It's one of those things in life that you just have to figure out along the way. Thankfully, I am not the first one to do it. Being pregnant for nine months definitely helped me prepare myself for this transition and new lifestyle. I am sure that God had planned it that way. I wouldn't say that I am used to the term mom describing myself, but things are at least getting better with each passing day. Today, I am most thankful for conversations with other mothers. Since I am the first of my closest friends, I have not been around new mothers or newborns for that matter. This whole world is new to me, and everything is abnormal. I can't describe my emotions or why things are the way they are. However, I have gotten to talk to two different mothers this week who have been such a blessing. They were able to laugh about all the crazy things that happen, and remind me that I am normal. The process of becoming a mother and figuring everything out is not easy, as a matter of fact it's quite the challenge. I have been a person who can handle everything, and I am learning that it's okay when I can't. So I admit to you that I cannot pack my house, visit with everyone that I want to, take care of myself, and take care of a newborn. It's just not possible. So I sit here and am thankful for grace. I have to give myself grace when Kylie spits up all over me, the bed, the carpet, and the tub. I have to give myself grace when I have to reschedule friends for lunch. I have to give myself grace when I didn't pack one single thing today. Life will go on and things will eventually get done.


On a semi-positive note. We went back to the pediatrician today for a weight checkup. Kylie currently weighs 7 pounds, 8 ounces which is above her original birth weight. She gained 5 ounces this week. Newborns should be gaining an ounce a day, so she is still behind but making progress. I have to meet with a lactation consultant sometime this week (in my spare time). Then I will go back to the pediatrician one more time. Thanks for all your prayers and encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment