Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Being Stretched

We've all been there. Those times when you are sitting there and thinking what on earth am I doing? I was sitting there last night. I was with 5 of our teens during worship practice, and I was helping them. I wasn't helping them with their instruments, but with the singing and finding the harmony. I have always had a passion for music, especially praise songs. I find myself closing my eyes and picturing the One who really matters. However, I have never been confident enough or even trained to put my voice near a microphone or even sing by myself. I get all nervous inside, knowing my face is turning a shade of red, and feel the sweat glands getting in gear. It doesn't matter how comfortable I am with the people, I just don't like to sing in front of them. So there I was singing with my eyes closed so they could figure out how to play along. I have to say, fears behind me, it's pretty cool. I may have sang the same two songs over and over again, but my God heard them every time. He was there with us in that room, and He'll be there tonight at youth group! It's something I didn't plan on, but God did. He knew it would stretch me, force me to rely on Him, show my insecurities, and worship. I look forward to next week; planning the songs we will sing and watching the teens gain confidence as well.

I am not the only one in my family who is being stretched. Kylie Grace is being stretched in a physical sense. Her newborn clothes are slowly getting packed away. Her pajamas no longer fit over her shoulders, and some of her other outfits cannot snap at the bottom. I cannot believe how much she is changing and growing. It's sad to put those clothes away, but then I look up and see all the new outfits that she will fit into!!

Just because something is ending, doesn't mean we can be sad and wish for the past. We have to lift our heads and look at what God has prepared for our future!

No comments:

Post a Comment